1935 - 1948 Dr. Max Heger
The curtain opens on our history in 1935. Dr. Max Heger, a country physician in Ihringen, spent his precious few moments of free time as an amateur winemaker. His patients, primarily local winemakers, awakened in him not just an interest, but a real passion for wine and everything that goes into it. Over time he began to acquire vineyards on the fine Achkarrer Schlossberg and Ihringer Winklerberg sites. They would eventually form the foundation for Heger's rise into an elite, internationally recognized estate.
1949 - 1991 Wolfgang Heger
Although already past 50, Max Heger was conscripted back into his doctor's coat as a medical officer in the Second World War. In 1949 he turned over management of the estate to his son Wolfgang, known as "Mimus." With astounding acumen, Mimus brought the estate to the forefront of German winemaking, a position that it still holds today. Blessed with two world-class vineyards already tied to the Heger name, he could focus his life on wine and the challenges of achieving grand quality consistently, vintage after vintage. In 1981 he handed over a portion of the responsibility to his own son Joachim, who would henceforth serve as the estate's cellarmaster.
... 1992 to present Silvia and Joachim Heger
Joachim Heger and his wife Silvia founded a secondary winery, the Weinhaus Heger, in 1986. Control over the senior estate came in 1992. As the third generation of the family to take the helm, they fulfilled the vision of Dr. Max Heger from years before: turning a small but fine amateur estate into a profitable operation without compromising the high quality of the wines. Joachim Heger became chairman of the Baden regional chapter of the Verband deutscher Prädikatsweingüter VDP in 2009, a position he has held ever since.